General Information

This Course Catalog and Career Planning Guide contains information that will help you as you select your courses for high school. It includes course descriptions and suggested programs of study associated with your post high school interests.

As you read through this catalog, you will find information about graduation requirements, suggestions for planning your program of study, and information on the requirements for early graduation. The main section of this catalog contains brief descriptions of the courses offered in each of the high school. If you or your parents have questions as you select your courses and plan your schedules, please discuss these questions with your teachers and counselors.

Credits for courses are cumulative throughout high school. You need 24 credits to graduate from Belvidere Community Unit School District 100. One-half (0.5) credit is earned for each class passed each semester. Grade Point Averages (GPA) are computed at the end of each semester of each school year.

For assistance in planning your high school program, contact the guidance office at your middle school or high school.

  • Belvidere South Middle School: 815/544-3175

  • Belvidere Central Middle School: 815/544-0190

  • Belvidere High School: 815/547-6345

  • Belvidere North High School: 815/544-2636

Early Graduation

The provision for early graduation is as follows:

  1. The student and parent or guardian shall initiate their request for early graduation in writing by filling out an Early Graduation form in the high school guidance office and submit to the appropriate counselor, clearly stating the reasons.

  2. The counselor shall review the written request, assess the student’s credits , and determine whether early graduation is possible (provided they meet all graduation requirements). If, for any reason, all course and credit requirements for early graduation have not been completed, the student must enroll in classes for the next semester.

  3. If the student is eligible for further consideration, the Early Graduation form shall be forwarded, with the counselor’s recommendation, to the building principal for the purpose of final administrative approval.

  4. Students who are granted permission for early graduation shall be eligible to participate in graduation exercises.

  5. A letter explaining the circumstances of early graduation will be sent to each parent/guardian of the early graduate.

Schedule Changes

During the scheduling process students and counselors will be working together to determine the classes that best suit the needs and interests of the students. Selections will be prioritized based on need, teacher recommendations and grade level. It is recognized that in some cases assigned classes may need to be adjusted. Below are some guidelines that must be followed for different situations.

Dropping a Class

A student may drop a class before the 30th school day of the semester without academic penalty, as long it does not drop the student below 6 credit bearing classes. If a class is dropped after the 30th school day of the semester the student will receive a failing grade for that class on their transcript. In special circumstances, a student may drop a class after day 30 with Principal permission.

Level Changes

When requesting a level change a student must submit a level change form including all necessary signatures. Level changes include the transferring of the current grade to the new class. If teacher and parent are not in agreement a conference should be held to discuss the placement. The conference should include teacher, parent, student, counselor and administration. Changes will not be made to accommodate personal preferences.

Drop/Add an Elective

A student may request to drop one elective to add another in the first 3 school days of a semester. The request must be submitted in writing to the student’s counselor. Request forms may be picked up in the guidance office. After three days, teacher and administration approval is required.

Teacher Changes

It is not our practice to allow a class change based on requesting a new teacher. However, if one of the following circumstances exists then we will consider a change:

  • A student has taken the same course with same teacher and has received a failing grade

  • There has been a documented conflict on file with administration between the student and teacher resulting in a prior teacher change

  • There has been a documented conflict on file with administration between a sibling of the student and teacher resulting in a prior teacher change

College Admission Requirements

Many colleges have the following minimum admission requirements:

  • 4 credits of English (reading, writing, listening, and speaking)

  • 3 credits of Mathematics (introductory through advanced algebra, geometry, & advanced math)

  • 3 credits of Science (laboratory sciences)

  • 3 credits of Social Studies with an emphasis on history and government

  • 2 credits within World Languages, Music, Art, or Technical Education

    • Some schools may require 2 years of a language

College Athletics Eligibility

IMPORTANT: Not all high school classes meet NCAA requirements. To learn about specific core course requirements, visit the NCAA Eligibility Center at

  • BHS students should use school code 140-275

  • BNHS students should use course code 140-279

Test Scores

Division I and Division II use sliding scales to match test scores and core grade-point averages (GPA). The sliding scale for those requirements can be found at

When you register for the SAT or ACT, use the NCAA Eligibility Center code of 9999 to ensure all SAT and ACT scores are reported directly to the NCAA Eligibility Center from the testing agency. Test scores that appear on transcripts will not be used.

Grade-Point Average

Be sure to look at your high school’s List of NCAA Courses on the NCAA Eligibility Center's website ( Only courses that appear on your school's List of NCAA Courses will be used in the calculation of the core GPA. Use the list as a guide.

  • BHS students should use school code 140-275

  • BNHS students should use course code 140-279

Remember, the NCAA GPA is calculated using NCAA core courses only

Grade Point Average


In addition to providing feedback to students for progress toward proficiency for a priority standard to communicate learning progress, students will also be provided a letter grade and grade point average (GPA) for their coursework for purposes of college admissions.

Two grade point averages, weighted and unweighted, are computed and reported for report cards and transcripts. Both the cumulative weighted and unweighted GPA's may be reported when students apply to colleges. By reporting both GPA's, colleges can choose the GPA that is most advantageous for a student.

District decisions regarding academic awards will be based on the unweighted GPA

Unweighted GPA

The unweighted GPA is computed by dividing the sum of unweighted grade points (A = 4, B = 3, etc.) by the number of credits attempted.

Weighted GPA

All early college courses offered in District 100 schools will be weighted with an additional point for letter grades C or above. Early college is inclusive of articulated credit, dual credit, and AP courses.

When transferring credits earned through Running Start, courses are weighted if they are at least level-100 courses and there is an equivalent early college weighted course at a District 100 high school.

The weighted GPA is computed by dividing the sum of the weighted grade points (listed in the table below) by the number of credits attempted.

Note About Weighted Classes: Early College Courses are offered in partnership with postsecondary institutions and the timeline for designating a course as dual or articulated credit does not always align with our course catalog development timeline. A course that is listed in the course catalog that is granted articulated or dual credit status after the course selection process will provide students the opportunity to earn early college credit, but will not be given a weighted grade. In the unlikely event that a course is listed in the course catalog as offering articulated or dual credit status during the course selection process but loses its dual credit status before the class begins, students will receive a weighted grade but will not be able to earn early college credit.

High School Credit for Middle School Courses:

High school courses completed by a student while in middle school will earn the student high school graduation credit and will be recorded on their high school transcript, however, the grade will not count toward the student’s high school GPA.

Class Rank

Beginning with the class of 2020, the Belvidere School District does not report individual rank in class. However, upon request, students will be provided with a designation of their percentile rank of 95th, 90th, 80th, 70th, and 50th based on their unweighted GPA. Rank will be run 3 times a year, February 1st, June 15th and August 1st.

Blended Classes

Blended courses combine traditional teaching, where a teacher has a full class and provides instruction to everyone at the same time every day, with virtual learning, where a student learns at their own pace using resources available online. As long as students are taking responsibility for their learning, making adequate progress, and achieving their goals in a blended class, they have more flexibility and can do some of their learning outside of the classroom at their own pace. That means they may not go to class every day, but could choose to go to the library or home to do their school work. When students aren’t making sufficient progress or need support from their teacher, they are able to come to class every day. Blended course offerings vary between the two high schools. Please check with your guidance counselor to see which classes have a blended option.

Proficiency Credit through AP and CLEP Testing

Students who have not taken a course can earn proficiency credit for a course in which they earn a 3 or higher on an Advanced Placement test or a score that meets the credit requirement provided by the American Council on Education (ACE) on a College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test.